Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The things you find when packing.

T-minus 24 hours until moving day. Are we ready? Heck no. Our apartment is strewn with bags and boxes and assorted other things we probably haven't seen since we last moved.

I seriously hate packing. Everyone does. That’s what separates us from the animals. (Pack rats? Um, hello?) So while I’m trying to pack up all of the crap I’ve accumulated over the last 2 years/my entire life, I figure I should totally procrastinate and make a list. Because I love lists. Everyone does.

1. Gauchos. Hello, 21-year-old Brenna? I have your pants. And they still look ridiculous. It doesn’t help that this pair isn’t the standard sorority girl issue black; no, these gauchos are this weird periwinkle color. And yet I’ve been holding on to them for the past 5 years. Just waiting for them to make a comeback.

2. Softball t-shirts from the good ol’ days of the Tuesday Night Ad Agency Softball League. If they start up a Layoff League, man, I am ready.

3. All of my high school summer reading novels. When I moved out of my parents’ house, I pretty much took everything with me. The clothes, the furniture and the ninth grade Honors English required reading as dictated by school district U-46.

Sidebar: anyone want to start a book club where we re-read the books we read in high school. You know, now that we're a little more adept and aware and not a bunch of 14-year-olds trying to navigate the moral implications and social commentary of Frankenstein?

4. My last 3 cell phones. It’s like the evolution of the flip phone. The first one had a creepy green screen that actually served as a pretty good flashlight but didn't get service anywhere. The second one had a full-color screen with sweet animated icons, making it a serious upgrade. However, the fine people at LG failed to put a screen on the exterior of the phone. So when it rang, you couldn't see who it was until you opened the phone. Made screening phone calls damn near impossible, resulting in a host of awkward cell phone conversations. And lastly, there was the Krazr. It was like a Razr, only krazier.

5. A key that may or may not be for the Recruitment Closet in the Pi Beta Phi house. Sorry I was the irresponsible Recruitment Chair who forgot to return the key. Also sorry there's a closet chock full of glitter, wine and silver blue streamers and the words to that one rush song no one ever remembered that may or may not have been locked for the last 5 years.

6. A crazy amount of gift bags. Because, like your grandmother, I save these things thinking I’ll re-use them. And also like your grandmother, my heart's in the right place but I always forget I have those gift bags hoarded away in a closet somewhere and usually end up buying new ones anyway.

7. My college collection of mp3s. Okay, so I didn’t really “find” these. But amidst the packing (and procrastinating), you better believe I fired up the old PC, opened iTunes and put the college music on shuffle. Because what I really needed was another excuse to get all nostalgic (and procrastinate) and rummage through a box of college photos while listening to "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight" by the Postal Service.

8. Three bridesmaid dresses, one of which isn’t mine.

BTW, Kelly, I’m still holding on to your dress from Katie’s wedding. And why do you have me in a sleeper hold in this picture? Who knows.

9. A bottle of Ciclon. Remember tequila-spiked rum? Remember how awful it was? Welp, it doesn’t get better with age. Also, I feel like I should make it known that I’m packing up the entire apartment, not just my bedroom. It's not like I keep bottles of hard liquor in my room. Anymore.

10. Chumbawumba Tubthumping. Did I ask for that CD for Christmas ’97? Yes I did. Did my brother begrudgingly oblige? Yes he did. Did I make him forever regret that decision by playing that one song on repeat for the remainder of my seventh grade year? Possibly. Does Chumbawumba still have an active official website complete with photos from their 2010 summer tour? Shockingly, yes.

2 comments:

  1. 1) i am absolutely in for the book club based on required high school reading. not shockingly, i still have all of my old paperbacks, too!
    2) I LOVE TUBTHUMPING!!! (don't throw that out.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I'm with Nancy - I have all my old summer reading books! I propose we start with Lord of the Flies - inspired by our plane ride from Italy :)
    2) I'd like to add my "madison" cell phone to your stock pile - why do I still have this?!
    3) Oh dear, I completely forgot you still have my dress. So, so sorry - consider it gone come Christmas!
    4) Once again you have made me laugh so hard I'm crying alone in my apartment. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete