Friday, September 17, 2010

I’m embarrassed and you probably should be, too. For me.

That's right. Hang your fuzzy little head in shame there, buddy.

It started innocently enough. I wanted a cute picture of an animal eating something for that post for Nancy’s blog. So I Googled “nom nom” and stumbled upon that little gem of a hamster munching on a nectarine. It was perfect. I saved it to my desktop and went about my day.

Except that I kept going back to that picture. I’d be in the middle of something, then I'd drop what I was doing, look at that picture and giggle. I mean, yeah, it’s a really cute picture. That little guy is really going to town on that nectarine. But the next thing you know, I’m Googling “cute hamster pictures” and scrolling through page after page of adorableness. And now I want a hamster. Bad.

For those who didn’t have the pleasure of knowing me during the incredibly awkward ages of 9 to 13, I used to have pet hamsters. There was Holli, Rolli, Ollie and Molli. (But not all at the same time. Because that would be weird.) And here I am, over a decade later, and I want another one? Have I changed so little in the last 13 years? Did high school, college and early adulthood really have no effect on the person I am? That's how it would seem.

I mean, I always wanted a dog, but there was no way my mom was ever going to concede to that. And I still want a dog, but let’s not kid ourselves and think that I am anywhere near responsible enough for a dog. (Just when I can almost pass for a responsible adult, I do something stupid like shatter my iPhone and then opt to just “get used to the shattered screen” rather than going to the Apple store.) It troubles me to think what might happen to that poor dog.

But getting a hamster—a caged rodent you can pick up at the mall, mind you—would be really weird. Being a 26-year-old with a hamster would put me somewhere between crazy cat lady and creepy guy who owns a ferret. Territory I’m not quite ready for just yet.

So I guess until I’m ready for that dog (which will be a pug named Buddy. Or maybe Otis.), I’ll hold off on getting a hamster. I’ll just get a plant or something and stick to finding cute pet pictures on the internet. It’s really the less creepier of two options. And it results in things like this. Which is just awesome.

It's a HAMSTER in a SOMBRERO sitting on a table in front of a PLATTER OF BURRITOS. If this isn't what the internet is for, then I don't know why it exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment